Wednesday 7 March 2018

The Matzke Women

March 8th is International Women's Day and March is International Women's History Month. When I hear those words I think of famous and noteworthy women, but I also think of the women in my family. Not a lot of fame but many noteworthy and interesting. Despite being just average folk I've been able to find some of my relatives in the newspaper and I'd like to share their stories in this month's post.

From the writer's collection
Here's a picture of some Matzke women - from left to right they are Josephine Faustman Matzke (my great-grandmother), Christina Matzke Schneider (my great-aunt), Iris Schneider Allard (my first cousin once removed) and Bonita Allard Reis (my second cousin). Before I get to the newspaper article some background on the family.

I've written before about the Matzke family and their long journey to Canada from Romania. The driving force behind this journey was Josephine. She was born on July 8th 1875 in Atmagea Romania, a small village located inland from the Black Sea on the east coast of Romania. Though born in Romania Josephine and her family were of German background and were staunch Lutherans. On February 1st 1894 Josephine married Franz Matzke from the nearby village of Tulcea. Franz had been raised a Roman Catholic but the couple was married in the Lutheran Church. Josephine was in charge from the start!


A young Josephine, from the writer's collection
Josephine had one sibling that I am aware of - her younger brother Karl. Karl had moved to Canada in 1906 and settled in the community of Landestreu in Saskatchewan. Landestreu was eventually renamed MacNutt. No doubt he suggested to his sister the she and her family join him in Canada, and eight years later they did.

The Matzke family - Carolina, Josephine, Christina, Jacobena and Franz 
Life was hard on the Canadian prairies. Franz tried farming but was unsuccessful. He ultimately started a shoe repair business in town. Meanwhile, Josephine managed the family. She was strict - there was no dancing or card playing allowed on Sundays. But her girls were lively and all married young - my grandmother Bena married in 1915 at the age of 17, my great-aunt Lena married in 1919 at the age of 16 and great-aunt Tina married in 1925 at the age of 16.

In 1936 my grandparents left their farm in MacNutt and moved to Winnipeg with their six children. Josephine and Franz followed. It must have been hard to leave behind their two younger daughters as they likely weren't able to visit too often. Lena and her husband Fred had three children, Tina and her husband John had six children.  

And that brings me to the newspaper article that I found. In earlier times newspapers were great sources of social information. I was searching the Winnipeg Free Press for my family and discovered this article dated July 19th 1944:


Courtesy of the Winnipeg Free Press

A visit from Saskatchewan was an exciting occasion for the Matzkes and also made for a great human interest story. The ages of the women make for a neat little fact and I think is a really cool article. You'll note that Tina's eldest daughter Iris continued the family tradition of marrying early and starting a family right away!

The picture may have been taken by the newspaper photographer and presented to Josephine but I don't know for sure. I do know that she treasured the photo and had it nicely framed. Unfortunately all the women in this picture have now passed away. On International Women's Day I'm remembering them and all my other female ancestors.





SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment